Friday, July 18, 2008

The case for kids

Earlier this week I was sitting in a doctor's waiting room reading an article (in NY Times magazine or Time magazine?) called "The Case Against Kids". First I read the one about how much the next president could actually influence our economy in the short term -apparently neither candidate really can. They can make decisions to impact long term change but gas prices this winter - oh well. Still waiting so I move on to the kid article. It's about how much happier childless couples are than couples with children. Studies showed that couples with children were happiest before they had children and right after the last one left the proverbial nest. Couples were most unhappy right after the birth of the first child...hmmm, wonder why? and got (a little) happier when more children were added. Well, frankly, duh! It's stressful and a complete change in lifestyle. My cousin and his wife just had their first and were asking why nobody told them just how hard it would be? I don't think you can manage to exlain that to a first time parent. However it's also difficult to convey how much satisfaction and JOY you get from seeing your children smile at you for the first time and laugh out loud and play in a playground, with friends or with new sisters. Their baby is a few weeks old so they haven't seen this stuff yet, but it's coming. Anyway, the article never mentioned the words satisfication or contentment. I guess I could easily say I would enjoy myself more, in a very self absorbed way, if I was on a beach somewhere in the caribbean with just Daniel. Kids are tough but oh so much more rewarding than a day at the beach or spa even! Here's my case for kids.

I'll post about my (unhappy) trip to the zoo with Xavi and his school later this weekend. Actually it was miserably hot and humid day but we had a blast.

1 comment:

Penelope said...

Super cute - great to see video. Keep them coming!